The dad and mom of a 3-year-old boy who died from a uncommon brain-eating amoeba that he picked up enjoying at a Texas splash pad have sued the town of Arlington for negligence.
Tariq Williams and Kayla Mitchell filed the lawsuit over the dying of their son, Bakari Williams, in Tarrant County District Court in Fort Worth on Monday morning.
“On behalf of our family and our friends we just want you to know that Bakari was a loving, energetic, passionate, sweet, beautiful, innocent boy. He didn’t deserve to die in this manner,” Williams stated, the Fort-Worth Star-Telegram reported.
Williams and Mitchell frequently introduced the toddler to Don Misenhimer Park however after his final go to there, he developed a 102-degree fever and struggled to face up by himself, the outlet reported.
“All he wanted to do was lay down,” Mitchell stated.
Bakari was hospitalized with main amebic meningoencephalitis, a uncommon and infrequently deadly an infection attributable to the naegleria fowleri amoeba, and died on Sept. 11.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention later discovered the amoeba in water samples collected from the splash pad of the park that he visited, the town stated.
Bakari’s dad and mom allege of their lawsuit that metropolis staff “failed to adequately monitor and chlorinate the city’s splash pad water, making the splash pad unreasonably dangerous.”
A metropolis spokeswoman declined to touch upon the go well with as a result of metropolis officers had not but seen it.
The CDC stated instances of naegleria fowleri are uncommon, with simply 34 infections recorded within the nation from 2010 to 2019.
People typically turn out to be contaminated when water containing the amoeba enters the physique by the nostril, usually when individuals go swimming or diving in lakes and rivers.