£25m Everton target wants to join Newcastle, four years after Benitez bid

12

Photo by NICOLAS TUCAT/AFP via Getty Images

Newcastle United have joined Everton and West Ham in the race for Aleksandr Golovin with MetaRatings reporting that the Monaco star is keen on a move to the Premier League strugglers. 

Thus far, Kieran Trippier feels like the exception rather than the rule. 

While the England international was happy to risk his World Cup spot by swapping the reigning La Liga champions for a club glancing nervously over their shoulder at the dreaded Championship, it seems that few are willing to follow in Trippier’s footsteps. 

RONALDO NEEDS TO STOP WHINING.

BridTV

7768

RONALDO NEEDS TO STOP WHINING.

940027

940027

center

13872

Freiburg’s Nico Schlotterbeck turned down a move to St James’ Park recently. As did Lucas Digne.

According to Gianluca di Marzio, meanwhile, Euro 2020 winner Andrea Belotti also gave Newcastle the cold shoulder this week. 

So reports suggesting that Golovin would have few qualms about following in Trippier’s contract will feel like a breath of fresh air on a bracing Tyneside morning.

Is Monaco’s Aleksandr Golovin finally joining Newcastle United?

According to Russian publication MetaRatings, Golovin is ‘actively interested’ in a move to Newcastle. Eddie Howe’s relegation-threatened side have joined Everton and West Ham in the race for his signature. 

Monaco’s Vice President Oleg Petrov said on Wednesday that the Ligue 1 giants want to keep their 25-year-old playmaker until the summer at least.

“So far, there have been no offers from West Ham for Golovin,” Petrov said.  

“Are we ready to let him go in the winter? It all depends on the offers of the English club. But I think we’ll hardly let him go now.” 

It is understood that the Principality club are aware of interest from the other side of the Channel. 

Photo by Stringer/Anadolu Agency via Getty Images

How much will Newcastle pay?

This is not the first time that Newcastle have come calling either.

Newcastle also made an approach for Golovin in 2018, after the then-CSKA Moscow starlet burst onto the scene at the Russia World Cup.

Rafa Benitez was Newcastle’s manager at the time. And, nearly four years later, the Spaniard’s Everton side are now battling his former employers for Golovin’s signature (The Athletic).

“There are proposals from Premier League clubs,” his agent said in 2018.

“As far as I know, interest in the midfielder comes from Southampton and Newcastle.”

Golovin produced five goals and nine assists as Monaco came within touching distance of the Ligue 1 title last season.

Should Newcastle win the race for his signature, Golovin would ease the creative burden on Allan Saint-Maximin’s shoulders while providing ammunition for new £25 million striker Chris Wood.

Photo by Serena Taylor/Newcastle United via Getty Images

 

In other news, ‘I’d be gobsmacked’: Pundit baffled by £15m Newcastle transfer rumour

Comments are closed.